Saturday 23 November 2013

Water in the trunk - Toyota Auris


A couple of days ago we found an "aquarium" in our trunk, about 5 cm deep, in the "bowl" where the spare wheel is located. After some internet explorations we learned that most probably it is a seal around a trunk ventilator or a seal around rare laps that let the water leak inside the boot. We decided to try fixing the problem on our own.
Thank you google and all the people who share their experiences and solutions to different problems at various fora! Although we found a lot of useful tips, I decided to write a short post and include pictures - maybe this will make someone's life easier...

Removing the trunk carpet was the first thing to do. After removing 4 screws at the bottom of the trunk, the carpets are just held by several pins (Figure 1), distributed along the carpet edge (Figure 2).

Figure 1


Figure 2

You need to pull the carpet firmly to get the pins out of their place. No worries, they must be pretty robust because we did not break even one :-)
With the carpets removed, the access to the ventilator is much easier (Figure 3).
Figure 3

Once we got to this point I "volunteered" to jump into the trunk and observe where the water was coming from while dr TBBE was pouring water on our car trunk. 
The leak was clearly visible at one side of the ventilator (Figure 4). 

 Figure 4

Sealing the ventilator around solved the problem :-)




.

6 comments:

  1. What modell is your Auris, what year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Auris 1.4 D-4D from 2008. Let me know if you need more info about this problem. Our trunk is dry since we fixed it :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you.
    My Auris is 2007, bensin.
    I'll look more carefully once the regn stop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I need to get to the ventilator because of the same reasons.
    I pulled the carpet so that first several pins (near lamp) pulled out.
    But the problem is with the rest of the pins near a back seat belt. I can’t pull out the carpet. It doesn’t want to move. Should I remember about something else or should I only pull the carpet as firmly as I can. I don’t want to break anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      As far as I remember you should just pull the carpet hard. Some pins were made of different material and maybe that is why you had the problem. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Hello. I have the exact same problem in the exact same spot around the vent. What type of glue did you use? I was instructed to Sikaflex, which is a heavy duty adhesive for sealing ships. But alas, the water was still able to find its way in...

    ReplyDelete